I am a British resident and I have a second home in Portugal.  I want to ship a lot of furniture from my British house to my house in Portugal but now, in 2021 under the new rules, I am not sure how to do it.  Can you help?


There are many British residents (and also Portuguese who live here in the UK) who are moving furniture and other items to their homes to Portugal or who are people who own homes in both the UK and Portugal.

To serve these people, there are several specialist companies that run trucks regularly between the UK and Portugal just carrying these personal household items between the two countries.

From 1 January 2021 shippers will need a Baggage Certificate or a Certificate: Importation of Household Effects which allows citizens moving/returning to Portugal to have their personal household goods imported duty free, when coming from a non-EU country.

In principle this certificate will now be issued by the Portuguese Consulate in the UK, who have informed us they are still seeking some further clarity on this topic and will soon have all procedures and guidance published on their website.

In the meantime, you can gain some guidance from the website of the Portuguese Consulate in the USA on the subject

Certificates of Household Effects

Information supplied 7 Jan 2021