by Namrata Majithia 30th January 2019
Living in Portugal

EU Exit: what you need to know

There will be no change to the rights and status of UK nationals living in Portugal while the UK remains in the EU.

While the government continues to negotiate the UK’s exit from the EU, you should:

  • make sure you’re correctly registered as resident in Portugal
  • read UK nationals in the EU: essential information
  • follow your local British Embassy on Facebook and Twitter
  • attend one of our citizens outreach meeting

Visas and residency

See entry requirements for Portugal in our travel advice.

If you plan to stay in Portugal more than 3 months, you must register at your local Câmara Municipal (town hall) – see information on registering in Portugal. You must register your residency to access services such as healthcare, schools and social security.

After 5 years of legal residence in Portugal, you may apply for permanent residence with Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (immigration authorities).

The UK and EU have agreed the full legal text of the draft Withdrawal Agreement in principle. The agreement on citizens’ rights will allow UK nationals to stay in their Member State of residence after the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019.

In the event of changes to residency rules or registration processes after 29 March 2019, we will update this page as soon as information is available.

The Portuguese government has publicly confirmed its intention to protect the rights of UK nationals registered as resident in Portugal in any EU exit scenario. Read the Portuguese government’s leaflet on your residency rights after the UK leaves the EU.

Further information is available at the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs web page (only available in Portuguese).


See Governments travel advice for Portugal.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, your access to healthcare is likely to change. The NHS has more information about healthcare for UK nationals living in and visiting Portugal.

The UK government has or is seeking agreements with countries on healthcare arrangements for UK nationals after 29 March 2019.

Up to 29 March 2019, you should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get emergency medical treatment during temporary stays in EU countries. You also need comprehensive travel insurance to cover anything not covered by your EHIC.

If you plan to visit on or after 29 March 2019, you should continue to buy travel insurance for the health treatment you may need, as you would for a non-EU country. If you have a UK-issued EHIC, it will still be valid until 29 March 2019.

Once you are registered as resident in Portugal (see Visas and residency), you are entitled to state healthcare. Enrol at your local health centre and get a user’s ID number by showing your residence certificate. You won’t get a NISS (social security number) unless you’re working or are the dependant of someone who’s working.

You can find English-speaking doctors in Portugal. You should also check your prescriptions are legal in Portugal.

S1 form – healthcare paid for by the UK
You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Portugal and get an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit.

You need to apply for a S1 form – contact the Department for Work and Pensions’ International Pensions Centre.

Working and studying in Portugal

Some jobs may require a:

If you are studying, you may need to have your British qualifications recognised in Portugal. For that, contact:

local notary can authenticate the translation of your diploma or school report.

See: Certifying UK Educational Documents

Money and tax

If you intend to use a bank card, or other financial service from a UK-based firm in the EU after exit, this may be affected. Read more about using a bank card, insurance or other financial service in the EU.

See tax if you leave the UK to live abroad and tax on your UK income if you live abroad.

The UK has a double-taxation agreement with Portugal to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.

If you are liable to pay tax in Portugal, you should apply for a tax number (número fiscal de contribuinte, NIF). You will also need an NIF to do things like buy or sell property, open a bank account or sign long-term rental agreements.

We recommend you get professional advice on paying tax in Portugal.

You may be able to pay National Insurance while abroad in order to protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.


The UK government will continue to pay state pension, child benefits, and disability benefits to eligible UK nationals in the EU after the UK’s exit from the EU. Find guidance on benefits and pensions in a no deal scenario.

If you haven’t worked in Portugal, you should claim your UK state pension by contacting the International Pension Centre.

If you live in and last worked in Portugal, you should claim your UK state pension, together with any Portuguese pension you are entitled to, from Instituto de Segurança Social.

If you’ve worked in several EU countries, see state pensions abroad.

Life certificates for UK state pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible – your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


See claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad.

Find out which UK benefits you might be able to get while you’re abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit can’t be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You may be eligible to claim some Portuguese social security benefits.

Accommodation and buying property

We advise you to consult a lawyer who is experienced in land law and property transactions. Make sure they are registered with the law society, Ordem dos Advogados.

Some notaries offer an independent property purchasing service known as Casa Simples, Casa Segura. Notaries in Portugal are trained lawyers.

If you are thinking of buying a coastal, river or lakeside property, ensure it’s not affected by the 2005 water resources law.

If you buy rural property, make sure you comply with the law on preventing forest fires.


The emergency number in Portugal is 112.

If you need urgent help, contact your nearest British embassy or consulate.